Skull-A-Day 4.0 - Tutorial - #26 Toasted Marshmallow Skull


Today is Thanksgiving in the USA. I could go on about the history, but if you are American, you already know. If you aren't, then go here for some history. I'll warn you that it's not all happy history info...but you've been warned. Anyway, for us now, it's a time of food and feast. One of my favorite dishes is yams (pureed sweet potatoes) with toasted marshmallows on top. This year, my husband had purchased an excessive amount of mini marshmallows. With that, I realized how easy it would be to make a skull out of these mini marshmallows on top of the yams and toast them like normal. Voila, my toasted marshmallow skull was born...or baked...how ever you want to put it.

This is a short and easy tutorial. My husband made the yam part. You can use any favorite recipe for that. It's also something you can do on other foods like brownies or cake.

SUPPLIES:
  • Mini Marshmallows - Mini ones are easier to use than large ones because you can easily create semi-complex shapes
  • Yams, brownies or cake - This technique works on all three. Choice is up to what you want to eat
  • A bowl - To pour the marshmallows in
  • Oven - For baking and toasting. I have a gas oven with a bottom browner, so the instructions will be for that style oven.


INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Bake your food (yams, brownies, cake...) like normal. You can use store bought ones if wanted.



2) Pour some of the mini marshmallows into a bowl. Placing them in a bowl, makes accessing them easier.

3) Carefully arrange the marshmallows into a design. In this case, I started in the middle and make a skull shape.



4) With the oven at 375 degrees for 4 minutes, bake the marshmallows until the are melted. Since the mini ones are not as thick as the regular marshmallows, I recommend adding a second layer and melted them together again, before toasting. I didn't do this for this batch, but if I made this again, I would.



5) Remove the pan from the oven and place the pan in the middle of the browner for a few seconds. Check it every few seconds to make sure the marshmallows aren't burning. I didn't sit mine in the middle, which is why the toasting is uneven. I did check mine a few times, but it took 2 seconds to go from lightly brown to burn...yay... They still taste good and that is all that matters.


6) Let cool and serve.


Have a great day everyone!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...